Unit 1 at susquehanna nuclear plant returns to service following outage
Friday, Jun 08, 2012
BERWICK, Pa., June 7, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Unit 1 at the Susquehanna nuclear power plant in Luzerne County, Pa., resumed generating electricity for customers Thursday (6/7) after a scheduled refueling and maintenance outage.
Plant operator PPL Susquehanna LLC also announced that it has found no turbine blade cracks on Unit 2, which was shut down May 30 for inspection based on the discovery of cracks on some Unit 1 turbine blades, which were replaced during the just-completed outage.
"Our focus on the long-term safe operation of the plant guides decisions on equipment issues such as these," said Timothy S. Rausch, PPL Susquehanna senior vice president and chief nuclear officer. "We have determined that we do not need to replace blades on the Unit 2 turbine, but will install more diagnostic equipment on the turbine before restarting the unit."
Diagnostic equipment on the turbines of both Susquehanna units will be used to validate the suspected causes currently under engineering review.
During the Unit 1 scheduled outage, which began March 31, workers completed hundreds of maintenance tasks and upgrades, replaced about 40 percent of the uranium fuel, and replaced turbine blades where indications of cracks were found during an inspection.
"Going into the refueling outage, we proactively planned the Unit 1 turbine inspection, and were well-prepared for the blade replacement work we conducted," Rausch said.
PPL Corporation said the total impact of the turbine blade inspection and replacements for both units is not expected to be material and the company is maintaining its 2012 forecast of $2.15 to $2.45 per share in earnings from ongoing operations.
The two units at the Susquehanna plant have a generating capacity of about 2,500 megawatts.
The Susquehanna plant, located in Luzerne County about seven miles north of Berwick, is owned jointly by PPL Susquehanna LLC and Allegheny Electric Cooperative Inc. and is operated by PPL Susquehanna LLC.
PPL Susquehanna LLC is one of PPL Corporation's generating affiliates.
Headquartered in Allentown, Pa., PPL Corporation (NYSE: PPL) owns or controls through its subsidiaries about 19,000 megawatts of generating capacity in the United States, sells energy in key U.S. markets, and delivers electricity and natural gas to about 10 million customers in the United States and the United Kingdom. More information is available at www.pplweb.com.
SOURCE PPL Susquehanna LLC
Other Nuclear News
- Fission 3.0 Corp. closes arrangement with Fission Uranium Corp.
- UK Company looks towards a new standard of safety in the subsea industry
- L-3 MAPPS wins tihange 1 full scope simulator project
- U3O8 Corp. discovers potentially large area of shallow uranium-vanadium mineralization adjacent to its Laguna Salada Deposit in Argentina
- AMEC awarded framework contract by Horizon Nuclear Power
- Makena retains Aeroquest for VTEM max survey on uranium prospects in the Athabasca Basin
- Zadar completes 100% purchase of the Stony Road uranium project
- Lakeland Resources Inc. announces option agreement for ground adjacent to uranium target at Riou Lake Property, Saskatchewan