Strategic alliance produces groundbreaking infrared countermeasure technology for Northrop Grumman's ASALTT™ product line
Friday, Jan 11, 2013
Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE: NOC) announced a new variant of the current All Semiconductor Airborne Laser Threat Terminator (ASALTT™) product line that will house a high brightness and high power Quantum Cascade Laser (QCL) module. ASALTT™ is a family of infrared countermeasure systems that protect fixed-wing and rotary military aircraft.
The new QCL module will operate at 10 watts in the mid-wave infrared (MWIR) spectrum, enabling real-time color ratio control and further diversifying the Technology Readiness Level 6 ASALTT™ family of laser systems. This groundbreaking milestone was executed in collaboration with
"It is through talent, innovation and a strategic relationship that we are able to produce a 10-watt MWIR module, packaged to the size of a smartphone," said
"Through collaboration, we have met both double-digit power specifications and the high beam quality sought for next-generation laser systems that satisfy size, weight and power requirements. Previously these specifications could not be met," said
The ASALTT™ product line technology offers a variety of opto-mechanical and environmentally stable laser systems designed to defeat enemy threats, taking advantage of the most advanced laser technologies currently available from government, industry and academia. Designed with infrared countermeasures in mind, the modular architecture also provides for utilization of key subsystems in adjacent markets, such as covert markers and pointers.
Northrop Grumman Laser Systems is one of the world's leading manufacturers of military electro-optical (EO) targeting systems. These systems include ground-based (man-portable, handheld and vehicle-mounted) EO imaging/ranging systems for target location, laser designators/markers for precise guidance of smart munitions, airborne laser rangefinders and designators fielded onboard many of the world's most sophisticated manned and unmanned aircraft.
Pranalytica is a leader in the development and engineering of QCLs operating in the 3.6 mm to greater than 16 mm region. Pranalytica has developed new structure designs for QCLs leading to high powers and high wallplug efficiencies at all wavelengths. Using their patented designs as well as proprietary fabrication technology, Pranalytica is able to commercially offer fully packaged, highest power and highest wallplug efficiency mid-wave and long-wave infrared QCLs for a broad range of defense, homeland security, industrial and health-related applications. (www.pranalytica.com)
Other Defence News
- Raytheon, Chemring Group complete first live-fire test of CENTURION launcher
- Raytheon scores 100 percent on Corporate Equality Index for 9th consecutive time
- Raytheon BBN Technologies and GrammaTech collaborate to help U.S. government prevent malware in IT devices
- Astrium, Raytheon team to compete for NATO ballistic missile defense work
- Northrop Grumman forms industry leading team for Ministry of National Guard aviation support contract, Saudi Arabia
- Northrop Grumman to provide the first integrated IP-based air traffic communication system for Brazil
- Northrop Grumman cyber team triumphs again taking first place in Global Defense Cyber Crime Center Forensics Competition
- Northrop Grumman engineer recognized by Association of Old Crows