SPP Pumps awards new firewater pump order to Finning Power Systems for ATP Cheviot Fire Pump project
Friday, Feb 01, 2013SPP Pumps, a global leader in engineered pumping solutions, has again selected Finning Cat to supply two custom Cat 3512C HD engines to drive the firewater pumps for the ATP Cheviot oil and gas production platform – a semi-submersible drilling, production and storage facility due for completion in 2013.
The Cat marine engines, rated at 1678 kW at 1800 rpm are well proven in demanding applications across the globe and were refined and packaged with accessories by Finning to meet both the client’s specification and the stringent requirements of NFPA 20, the National Fire Protection Association standard. This is to ensure the engines will deliver reliable power in the event of a fire emergency.
These refinements required a number of modifications to the engine controls to meet NFPA 20. The engine rating is approved by the American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) as required for the floating platform.
This, in particular, meant that Finning had to design the engine package to maintain operation at a constant 22.5-degree tilt in the event of an emergency, such as the platform losing buoyancy.
Each firewater pump engine is certified to EPA marine tier two classification and meets the E3 emissions’ test cycle for marine applications. NFPA requirements also specified the addition of a dual engine control module (ECM) so that, in the unlikely event of failure of the main ECM, the second module will maintain the engine systems and performance will be unaffected.
Finning’s global experience and engineering capabilities have positioned it as a trusted partner for some of the world’s most demanding industrial applications. This is especially the case with SPP Pumps who has selected Finning and its Cat product range for numerous offshore and onshore firewater pump applications.
Fire protection systems demand a reliable source of power at all times, so to ensure that the firewater pumps are available round-the-clock, it was essential that SPP’s engine supplier has the right technical understanding and engineering expertise. The company has worked with Finning on a number of high-profile projects, through which it has proven its engineering capabilities and technical expertise.
In addition, Finning is able to provide technical support as well as routine service, preventative maintenance and emergency engine repairs.
Source: SPP Pumps
To access over 3,000 of the latest oil projects from across the world visit Projects OGP for free trial today
Other Project News
- Saipem announces awarded FPSO contracts in Angola worth more than $4 billion
- Shell announces Malaysia deep-water gas discovery
- Octagon 88 Resources announces Red Earth light oil project update
- Lamprell has received a new contract award for the construction and delivery of two Mobile Offshore Drilling Platforms
- New Dragados offshore contract secured for IKM Testing
- Ezion Secures a contract with an approximate value of USD43.7 million over a 3 year period to provide a service rig to support a South Asian Based Nat
- Ezion Secures a contract with a value of approximately USD35 million over a 3 year period to provide a service rig to support a middle eastern state
- Foster Wheeler awarded contract for incinerator in Vietnam