NNSA awards contract for largest federal wind farm to Siemens Government Technologies, Inc.
Friday, Jan 18, 2013
The National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) has awarded a contract to Siemens Government Technologies, Inc., (Siemens) to construct and operate the federal government’s largest wind farm. The Pantex wind farm, a first in the NNSA enterprise, will consist of five 2.3 megawatt turbines located on 1,500 acres of government-owned property east of the Pantex Plant.
Energy savings from the wind farm average $2.9 million annually over a 20-year contract term and the project will enable Pantex to meet the President’s energy initiatives for green energy. The wind farm at Pantex will allow NNSA to meet almost all of its renewable energy goals while also offering unique research opportunities to longtime partner in education, Texas Tech University, and its research collaborators. The farm will generate approximately 45 million kilowatts of electricity annually – greater than 60 percent of Pantex’s annual electricity needs.
“Three years of hard work, dedication and determination have paid off,” said NNSA Production Office Manager Steve Erhart. “The NNSA’s goal was to turn Texas wind into energy, and we have overcome numerous hurdles in implementing the contracting strategy.”
Using an Energy Savings Performance Contract, Siemens will provide a turn-key wind farm system for 20 years that includes a five-year service, maintenance and warranty agreement with operating and maintenance options from years six through ten. Siemens will also provide an annual energy production guarantee. The government payment to them will come directly from the value of guaranteed energy savings generated from the Pantex wind farm.
Other Renewable News
- Accenture to help Azure Power expand its solar generation business
- EPIA presents the Global Market Outlook for Photovoltaics 2014-2018 at Intersolar Europe
- Avianca Brasil and Byogy Renewables forge initiative to drive the global approval of Alcohol-to-Jet (ATJ) renewable jet fuel
- Intersolar North America strengthens focus on growing energy storage market
- GDF SUEZ Energy Resources NA again donates renewable energy certificates to the Houston Museum of Natural Science in Honor of Earth Day
- 3M celebrates 10-year record of EPA ENERGY STAR sustained excellence award
- SolarWorld powers spread of grass-roots community solar purchasing from coast to coast
- Canadian Solar to supply 43MW of solar modules in Japan