Jubilant spuds the Matabari-1 exploration well in the southern part of the Tripura block
Monday, May 28, 2012
Jubilant is pleased to announce that the Matabari-1 well was spudded on 25 May, 2012 in the Tripura block. This is the firstexploratory well to be drilled under Exploration Phase-II in the block. The well is located 3.3 kilometres east-southeast and up-dip from the Phase-I exploratory well Kathalchari-1 and 5.5 kilometres southeast and up-dip of the second Phase-I appraisal well KL-NE.
The Matabari-1 will be a vertical well, planned to be drilled to a total depth of 4,070 metres Measured Depth ("MD") and is estimated to take approximately four months to drill.
Matabari-1 is proposed to explore the hydrocarbon potential of the Lower Miocene Lower Bhuban and Late Oligocene Renji sands as primary objectives and the Middle Bhuban sands as a secondary objective.This will be the first exploratory well in the Block targeting deeper objectives beyond the Middle Bhuban.
The second appraisal well to the Kathalchari-1 discovery, KL-NE, spudded on 21 February 2012, was drilled to a depth of 3,200 metres MD compared to a planned target depth of 2,990 metres MD. Based on mud log and petrophysical interpretations, seven gas bearing sand intervals of interest, including the Kathalchari discovery equivalent sands, have been identified in the Middle Bhuban formation in this well, totalling approximately 146 metres gross thickness. Jubilant is now planning to test these zones in a sequential manner with a work-over rig, expected to commence in June 2012. A further announcement will be made subsequent to the completion of testing.
Jubilant holds a 20% participating interest in this block through its subsidiary Jubilant Oil & Gas Private Limited, India which is also the Operator for the block. GAIL India Limited holds the remaining 80% participating interest.
To access over 3,000 of the latest oil projects from across the world visit Projects OGP for free trial today
Other Exploration News
- OGX and MPX sign an agreement for the sale of a 50% stake in 4 exploration blocks in the Parnaíba Basin
- GeoPark Holdings Limited strategic entry and acquisition in Brazil
- OGX acquires a working interest in 13 exploration blocks in the Equatorial Margin and the Parnaíba Basin
- Kosmos farm-in to Antrim's Irish licences approved
- Afren plc announces OPL 310 - farm out agreement secured and exploration drilling commenced
- Norwest Energy NL announces estimate of gas in place at North Erregulla
- Gazprom and Petrovietnam sign Memorandum of Cooperation in natural gas use as motor fuel
- TAG Oil's Ngapaeruru-1 well intersects oil and gas shows in source rock