MOD to auction off radio spectrum
Tuesday, Dec 18, 2012
The Ministry of Defence is planning to auction some of its radio spectrum in the first direct sale of its kind by a Government department.
Radio spectrum refers to the radio waves over which all wireless communication takes place, including radio, television, radar, satellite, mobile voice and data. Under plans announced today, the MoD intends to auction around 200 Megahertz (MHz) of its spectrum usage rights.
The MoD’s announcement comes as market demand for extra spectrum is mounting, fuelled by the sharp rise in the use of spectrum-hungry devices such as smartphones and tablets.
The sale will give private operators the chance to buy more spectrum to support the introduction of fourth-generation mobile services to people in cities, towns and villages across the UK. Alternatively the spectrum could be used by fixed line operators to provide wireless access to broadband services.
The spectrum being sold by the MoD is all below 15 Gigahertz (GHz) which is regarded as the most useful and valuable part of the radio spectrum because of its wide range of applications.
Almost half of all spectrum below 15GHz is held by the public sector and is used for a broad range of services including defence, emergency services, transport and science. The MoD holds around three quarters of all publicly-held spectrum and one third of all spectrum below 15GHz.
Other Defence News
- Omni-Lite Industries announces new military orders
- Raytheon receives $350 million SM-3 Block IB contract
- Another C-130J super Hercules heads to Little Rock AFB
- Northrop Grumman to highlight space communications capabilities at SATELLITE 2014 for innovative commercial, military and scientific missions
- FY2015 budget request announces preserving President Obama’s Nuclear Security vision
- Raytheon partners with NCCDC to become the title sponsor of nation's largest cyber tournament for college students
- Northrop Grumman awarded task order for naval training systems
- Roll out for first Italian built Eurofighter Tranche 3