MidAmerican Energy Company recognized by Platts for leadership in wind project development
Monday, Dec 03, 2012
Last evening, MidAmerican Energy Company was honored with the Green Energy Supplier Award at the 2012 Platts Global Energy Awards ceremony in New York, N.Y. The company received the award for its 2011 and 2012 wind expansion projects in Iowa, which add another 1,001 megawatts of renewable energy to the company’s generation portfolio.
We know that meeting our customers’ expectations requires action today and planning for our energy future.”
The awards ceremony was attended by energy executives from around the world.
The nomination noted MidAmerican Energy’s diverse generation portfolio. By year-end 2012 when the company’s 407.1-megawatt wind expansion is complete, MidAmerican Energy will have nearly 2,300 megawatts of owned wind generation capacity.
MidAmerican Energy is the No. 1 owner of wind-powered generation capacity among rate-regulated utilities in the U.S. When its wind expansion is complete, approximately 30 percent of MidAmerican Energy’s total owned generation capacity will come from wind.
“MidAmerican Energy believes the best way to meet customers’ energy needs is to provide reliable, affordable and environmentally responsible energy through a diversified generation portfolio,” said Bill Fehrman, president and CEO, MidAmerican Energy. “We know that meeting our customers’ expectations requires action today and planning for our energy future.”
“By year-end 2012, MidAmerican Energy will have 1,267 owned wind turbines generating electricity in Iowa, with each wind turbine serving as a visible demonstration of the company’s commitment to green energy,” Fehrman added.
As a finalist in the Stewardship Award category, MidAmerican Energy also received the Award of Excellence at a special luncheon at the Platts Global Energy Outlook Forum prior to the awards ceremony. Since 2008, Platts has bestowed a special award on a group of finalists in a particular category, based on the group’s commitment to society.
Kern River Gas Transmission Company, a subsidiary of MidAmerican Energy’s parent company MidAmerican Energy Holdings Company, was a finalist for the Premier Project Award for Construction for its Apex pipeline expansion project.
Source: Business Wire
Other Renewable News
- JinkoSolar successfully connects two solar PV projects totaling 39MW to the grid in Jiangsu Province
- Yingli Green Energy signs cooperation agreement with Sailing Capital to jointly form a one billion RMB renewable energy fund
- IBERDROLA INGENIERÍA in Russia to construct the 1,020 MW substation for the Votkinskaya hydropower station
- Silver Fox® labels exhibit excellent results in latest long-term UV tests
- Introducing Trinity, a portable wind turbine power station for charging USB devices
- SolarWorld signs supply agreement with PetersenDean, largest privately held U.S. Roofing and Solar Company
- Two new wind farms in Nuevo Leon, Mexico, to be funded by the North American Development Bank
- First Wind to sell power from planned solar project to Hawaiian Electric