Lundin Petroleum completes appraisal well 16/2-16 in PL501
Monday, Dec 10, 2012
Lundin Petroleum AB (Lundin Petroleum) through its wholly owned subsidiary Lundin Norway AS (Lundin Norway) has completed the drilling of appraisal well 16/2-16 in PL501 on the Johan Sverdrup discovery located in the North Sea sector of the Norwegian Continental Shelf (NCS).
The well was drilled in PL501 on the north eastern flank of the discovery approximately three km away from the discovery well 16/2-6, the recent well 16/2-13A in PL501 and well 16/2-10 located in PL265. The objective of the well was to establish the depth to the top reservoir, and the quality of the reservoir, the oil water contact depth and the aquifer quality.
The main objectives were met by encountering the top of the reservoir at prognosis at 1,924 metres below Mean Sea Level (MSL) and the oil water contact (OWC) at 1,925 metres below Mean Sea Level (MSL). This oil water contact is the same as in well 16/2-13A and about three metres deeper than the previously identified OWC in other PL501 wells. A total of 15 metres sand was found in a 60 metres Jurassic sequence.
The well was drilled to a depth of 2,188 metres below Mean Sea Level (MSL).
The well will now be side tracked approximately 1,000 metres westward to improve the understanding of the lateral variations in reservoir qualities and the relation between the 1,934 metres below Mean Sea Level (MSL) oil water contact in well 16/2-10 and the 1,925 metres below Mean Sea Level (MSL) contact observed in the 16/2-16 and 16/2-13A wells.
The well is also important in relation to the water injection strategy to be applied during production.
The wells 16/2-16 and 16/2-16A are being drilled with the drilling rig, Transocean Winner.
Lundin Norway is the operator of PL501 with a 40 percent interest.
Partners are Statoil Petroleum AS with a 40 percent interest and Maersk Oil Norway AS with a 20 percent interest.
Source: Lundin Petroleum AB
To access over 3,000 of the latest oil projects from across the world visit Projects OGP for free trial today
Other Oil & Gas News
- FTTN moves forward with Texas acquisitions as State’s oil production outpaces rivals
- Severstal to improve heavy plate quality for South Stream and Power of Siberia oil and gas projects
- Delek Group announces discovery of natural gas at the "Karish 1" exploratory well
- Max Petroleum Plc provide drilling update
- Tower Resources plc announces statement regarding the results of the Wingat-1 exploration well, Walvis Basin, Offshore Namibia
- Salamander announces North Kutei drilling insurance claim
- FMC Technologies awarded subsea equipment contract for Shell's Stones field
- Noble Energy announces Karish discovery in the Levant Basin offshore Israel