Helix announces deepwater Gulf of Mexico discovery
Wednesday, Dec 19, 2012
Helix Energy Solutions Group (NYSE: HLX) today announced an oil discovery at the Wang exploration well in the Phoenix Field located in Green Canyon Block 237, approximately 93 miles off the Louisiana coast. The Wang exploration well encountered more than 100 feet of high quality net oil pay.
“Preliminary data from down-hole test tools confirmed oil in the Wang well with over 11,800 psi of bottom-hole pressure. We are moving ahead to complete the well.”
Johnny Edwards, President of Energy Resource Technology GOM (ERT), a wholly owned subsidiary of Helix, stated, “Preliminary data from down-hole test tools confirmed oil in the Wang well with over 11,800 psi of bottom-hole pressure. We are moving ahead to complete the well.”
The Wang exploration well was drilled to a total depth of approximately 18,300 feet, in water depths of approximately 2,300 feet. The well is currently being completed and will be developed via a subsea tie back system to our Helix-owned Helix Producer I floating production unit. First production from Wang is expected early second quarter of 2013.
The Company recently disclosed in a previous press release that it has entered a definitive agreement to sell ERT to Talos Production LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Talos Energy LLC, for a base purchase price of $610 million plus contingent consideration. The ultimate success of the Wang exploration well is the primary component of the transaction’s contingent consideration.
Source: Business Wire
To access over 3,000 of the latest oil projects from across the world visit Projects OGP for free trial today
Other Gulf of Mexico Oil News
- GE signs $84 million agreement with PEMEX for deepwater exploration projects in the Gulf of Mexico
- Marine Well Containment Company announces availability of new 10k psi capping stack
- Technip awarded substantial subsea contract for the Julia project in the Gulf of Mexico
- FMC Technologies receives subsea equipment orders for Anadarko's Heidelberg field
- Lawrence Anthony Earth organization creates change Oil Spill Response Global Alliance
- Wood Group PSN first with Hess in Gulf of Mexico
- Shell moves forward on new Gulf Mexico development at Stones
- Petrobras announces Cascade and Chinook pioneering work, records and safety are session highlights at the OTC 2013