Halton Hills Hydro launches innovative Solar-Smart Grid Technology
Friday, Nov 09, 2012HALTON HILLS, ON, Nov. 8, 2012 /CNW/ - Halton Hills Hydro launched an innovative energy project that combines renewable energy and smart grid technology, to mount individual solar panels on about 200 hydro poles in Georgetown, Acton and surrounding communities today at Ballinafad Community Centre.
"I am excited by this project, which reduces our carbon footprint, while
respecting the natural heritage of our community," said Mayor Rick Bonnette.
The panels will be mounted on hydro poles over the next two months. They are already installed in seven locations.
The solar units can be installed quickly and simply on existing poles and begin to generate power immediately. Demonstrating the ease with which they can be mounted, a new panel was installed during the event, on Trafalgar Road, in Ballinafad, Ontario.
A key benefit of the project is the distribution system monitoring provided by these panels. This enhances the smart grid by providing valuable, real time information about the panels and distribution system so that the utility can adjust and improve overall efficiency. Distribution line losses are reduced as the panels generate clean, renewable power close to where it's needed. Each panel generates about 1kWh of electricity per day.
"The flexibility of the technology means that we can expand incrementally," said Halton Hills Hydro President Art Skidmore. There are 1,400 suitable hydro poles in the area, enough to power 50 homes.
"We are excited about this creative energy solution that combines renewable energy and smart grid benefits," Skidmore said. "There are literally hundreds of thousands of these poles across Ontario."
The panels are supplied by Harvester Energy, a subsidiary of Halton Hills
Community Energy Corporation and a Canadian distributor of the technology.
Halton Hills Hydro is the mid-sized local distribution company serving more than 20,000 urban and rural customers in the Town of Halton Hills.
SOURCE Halton Hills Hydro
Other Renewable News
- Nice-Pak products and PDI complete largest Rooftop solar array in Rockland County
- Renewable Energy Group achieves one billion gallon milestone
- KYOCERA invests in solar projects valued at $38M with U.S. Light Energy
- InterGen announces agreement with IEnova for the purchase of 50 percent of the first phase of the Energía Sierra Juarez wind project
- Southern Company subsidiary and Turner Renewable Energy strengthen renewable portfolio by closing on second California solar plant
- SunEdison closes on 20 MW Adobe Solar plant
- Everblue awarded IREC Training Program Accreditation for solar installer and sales courses
- JinkoSolar files 2013 annual report on Form 20-F