GSEA applauds Georgia Public Service commission's decision to increase solar energy
Monday, Nov 26, 2012
ATLANTA, Nov. 23, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Georgia Solar Energy Association (GSEA) commends the Public Service Commission for its bold vision in voting to advance solar development in Georgia.
The commission voted unanimously Tuesday, Nov. 20, to authorize an additional 210 megawatts of solar energy to the Georgia Power portfolio.
Best of all, 90 megawatts will be allocated to small, medium and residential solar projects in addition to utility-scale development.
"The Georgia Solar Energy Association is thrilled to see the Public Service Commission not only authorizing a significant short-term deployment of solar energy through its current regulatory structure, but also encouraging legislative leaders to reconsider the current policy restrictions that have prevented the state from achieving its enormous potential for solar energy production," said Jessica Moore, GSEA executive director. An Arizona State University study ranked Georgia third among U.S. states for unrealized solar production potential.
Moore said the PSC decision validates solar as a viable, cost-effective method of delivering power to Georgia's homes and businesses. "Solar creates jobs, keeps rising energy rates in check, protects our air quality and makes Georgia more self-sufficient when it comes to meeting our energy needs."
The Georgia Solar Energy Association, the voice of Georgia's solar community, will continue its efforts to educate the voters and the elected officials who serve them about the benefits of solar energy. For more information, visit www.gasolar.org.
About the Georgia Solar Energy Association: The Georgia Solar Energy Association, comprised of leading experts in solar manufacturing and installation, academia, finance, and the law is leading the effort in Georgia to promote the economic and environmental benefits of solar energy through education, advocacy and industry support. Our members are working together to make Georgia a leader in innovation, creating jobs, and attracting investment.
SOURCE Georgia Solar Energy Association
Other Renewable News
- Hannon Armstrong ("HASI") and Sol Systems collaborate to deploy up to $100 million of debt financing for distributed solar project developers in 2014
- EasySolar announces the all-in-one solar power solution
- Three International wind power exhibitions to take place in Shanghai in July 2014
- Bharat Light & Power selects OSIsoft PI System to support renewable energy growth in India
- JinkoSolar successfully connects two solar PV projects totaling 39MW to the grid in Jiangsu Province
- Yingli Green Energy signs cooperation agreement with Sailing Capital to jointly form a one billion RMB renewable energy fund
- IBERDROLA INGENIERÍA in Russia to construct the 1,020 MW substation for the Votkinskaya hydropower station
- Silver Fox® labels exhibit excellent results in latest long-term UV tests