DONG Energy to build Westermost Rough offshore wind farm
Thursday, Jan 31, 2013
DONG Energy has decided to build the offshore wind farm Westermost Rough in the North Sea on the British east coast. The construction will represent a total investment of approximately EUR 1 billion including the construction of the transmission assets. When the wind farm goes into operation, the transmission assets will be sold to an offshore transmission operator, as required by UK regulation.
Westermost Rough will consist of 35 turbines from Siemens Wind Power, each of 6.0 megawatt, with a total capacity of 210 megawatt. It will be able to supply CO2-free power corresponding to the annual power consumption of almost 210,000 British households.
“With the decision to build Westermost Rough, we expand our position as world leading in the development, construction and maintaining of offshore wind farms,” said Henrik Poulsen, CEO of DONG Energy.
Siemens 6.0 MW turbine has just been erected at our demonstration site Gunfleet Sands 3 and has already been tested at Test Centre Østerild and Test Centre Høvsøre in Denmark.
“The size and location of the project is very well suited as the first large scale project with the new Siemens 6 megawatt turbine. We are sure that this project is a good foundation in our continuous work to bring down the cost of offshore wind,” said Henrik Poulsen and continued:
“The UK offshore wind market is the biggest in the world and we are confident that the UK market will continue to be a very interesting market to the offshore wind industry.”
The Westermost Rough offshore wind farm will be situated 8 km off the Yorkshire Coast, east of Hull.
Offshore construction of the Westermost Rough offshore wind farm will begin in first half of 2014 and the farm is expected to be fully commissioned in the first half of 2015.
The information provided in this announcement does not change DONG Energy's previous financial guidance for the 2012 financial year or the announced expected investment level.
Source: DONG Energy
Other Renewable News
- JinkoSolar files 2013 annual report on Form 20-F
- Trina Solar announces grid connection for 23.8 MW PV projects in UK
- Hannon Armstrong ("HASI") and Sol Systems collaborate to deploy up to $100 million of debt financing for distributed solar project developers in 2014
- EasySolar announces the all-in-one solar power solution
- Three International wind power exhibitions to take place in Shanghai in July 2014
- Bharat Light & Power selects OSIsoft PI System to support renewable energy growth in India
- JinkoSolar successfully connects two solar PV projects totaling 39MW to the grid in Jiangsu Province
- Yingli Green Energy signs cooperation agreement with Sailing Capital to jointly form a one billion RMB renewable energy fund