Canadian Solar project named POWER-GEN International 2012 solar project of the year
Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013
GUELPH, Canada and SAN RAMON, Calif., Jan. 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Canadian Solar Inc. (the "Company", or "Canadian Solar") (NASDAQ: CSIQ) today announced that its submission of the 148 MW solar park PV project in southern Brandenburg, Germany was named the 2012 winner of the Solar Project of the Year Award by POWER-GEN International.
The solar complex in southern Brandenburg, one of the world's largest PV projects covering 352 hectares (870 acres), was constructed on a former lignite mining strip in the East German community of Meuro, near Senftenberg. Canadian Solar provided 636,000 CS6P-P modules, powering nearly 90 percent, 148 MW, of the project's 166 MW total output.
By utilizing a former surface mine for the installation, the PV solar project converted a brownfield into an energy-producing solar farm, creating hundreds of local construction and operations jobs and generating enough clean, renewable solar energy to power 67,500 households in the region.
"It is an honor to have the solar complex in Brandenburg recognized as the best solar project in the world by the POWER-GEN International team; this project required a tremendous collaboration effort that would not have been possible without our two partners, project developers and contractors saferay and GP JOULE," said Dr. Shawn Qu, Chairman and CEO of Canadian Solar. "The success of this project proves that it is faster to develop, build and achieve dividends on large-scale solar PV systems than any other type of power plant, even in regions with fewer sun hours."
The award was announced at POWER-GEN International's Projects of the Year awards gala in Orlando.
The solar complex in Brandenburg beat out 43 other entrants from around the world to take top honors in the Best Solar Project category. Finalists were chosen by a team of eight editors from Power Engineering and Renewable Energy World.
About Canadian Solar
Canadian Solar Inc. is one of the world's largest solar companies. As a leading vertically integrated provider of ingots, wafers, solar cells, solar modules and other solar applications, Canadian Solar designs, manufactures and delivers solar products and solar system solutions for on-grid and off-grid use to customers worldwide. With operations in North America, Europe, Australia, Africa and Asia, Canadian Solar provides premium quality, cost-effective and environmentally-friendly solar solutions to support global, sustainable development. For more information, visit www.canadiansolar.com.
SOURCE Canadian Solar Inc.
Other Renewable News
- Hannon Armstrong ("HASI") and Sol Systems collaborate to deploy up to $100 million of debt financing for distributed solar project developers in 2014
- EasySolar announces the all-in-one solar power solution
- Three International wind power exhibitions to take place in Shanghai in July 2014
- Bharat Light & Power selects OSIsoft PI System to support renewable energy growth in India
- JinkoSolar successfully connects two solar PV projects totaling 39MW to the grid in Jiangsu Province
- Yingli Green Energy signs cooperation agreement with Sailing Capital to jointly form a one billion RMB renewable energy fund
- IBERDROLA INGENIERÍA in Russia to construct the 1,020 MW substation for the Votkinskaya hydropower station
- Silver Fox® labels exhibit excellent results in latest long-term UV tests